Crazy Cressmans

I am at teachers college developing my identity as a teacher. Here you can join this journey as well as finding out what else I'm up to in my (sparse) spare time.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

October Crossword

Credits: Melissa designed the grid. Andrew and Melissa collaborated on the puzzle.
Reminder: Double click on the picture to open it in a separate window and print directly as is from there.
Note: Refer to the September Crossword comments section for a discussion on the difficulty level of the monthly crossword.
Request: When you have attempted this crossword, leave a comment. With out constant interest and positive reinforcement, the monthly crossword will not survive!

4 Comments:

Blogger Miftis Micoon Mertancikanto said...

I didn't get it, and I even cheated.... a lot....

10:33 PM  
Blogger Mike Chase said...

I haven't tried it yet, mainly due to being pretty busy for the last two weeks (see my blog) and then being gone for the weekend. I do want to try it however, and will likely get to it on Saturday.

Out of curiosity, can you comment on how you put the crossword together? I mean, thinking up clues is pretty obvious, do you design a blank grid and try to fill it with words and then write clues for the words or what?

12:29 PM  
Blogger A&M said...

Mike, thanks for your interest. After your previous attempt I wasn't sure if you'd try a second one! And by the sound of Mark's comment, it sounds like this one might be worse (or better???).

Regarding the procedure for making the crossword. Most of the time, Melissa makes the grid. This is dependant on her marvelous creativity, and you can notice how she follows standard crossword symmetry rules in designing the grid. Then, usually I fill in the grid with the words. Obviously, it is most effective to start with the longest words. It is fairly difficult to make so many words fit together and so you see a few instances per crossword where there is a short word with a clue that nobody would ever get because it is for some really obscure abbreviation. I try to keep those to a minimum, but when they happen I just expect you to get those words by filling in the intersecting ones. I try to make those intersecting clues easier, but I admit I have goofed that up on occasion. Making the clues is obvious as you say, but not easy. There are a lot of words that it's really really hard to think up a clue that is of just the right level of difficulty. Most clues that you think of immediately are too easy, and then you think of really obscure clues, and hopefully in the end I come up with clues that match my intended level of difficulty as discussed in last months comments. I've had plenty of complaints about my clues, but I'm not in much of a mood for apologizing. Think the way A&M think is the name of the game.
-A
P.S. I DO apologize for a small number of clues from past crosswords which were admittedly bad clues, but I stand by a similar number of clues which have been complained about.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm finally getting around to this blog thing!! Here are my comments about yet another great challenging crossword puzzle!!
With Dad and Mark to help, as well as various other resources, we managed to complete the puzzle! Just needed one letter in one word, and you helped me out on the phone.

Keep up the good work - I'm looking forward to the next puzzle!! I only do my kid's puzzles - still waiting for Mark's next impossible one! I gave his to one of the nurses at work - she's a puzzle nut - does the New York ones - last I saw her she hadn't quite got it done yet.

Until next time....

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home