Another kind of move
Andrew has just this week changed projects at school. Having done an undergrad in theoretical physics, I thought I wanted to try something a little different so I began entered the PhD program intending to work on an experimental project doing materials chemistry for improving the efficiency of solar cells. This is a wonderful thing to do, but academically, I've found I just don't have the strengths or interests to continue with it. Over the past year, Melissa and I have decided to apply for MCC and I thought that while we wait for MCC to get back to us, I could work toward a Masters degree to have something to show for my time here. Now I have switched research groups and projects so that now I am studying Molecular Dynamics of Proteins in various solvent environments. Doesn't sound quite as sexy as solar cells, but I have a much better feeling that it is in keeping with my academic strengths. My new prof says this project should take a year to complete. So, we think this would be a good thing to do, and the thinking at this point is to delay MCC by this year so as to finish this up. Our life plans seem to change almost daily. An older friend told us recently that we are still younger than 30, so that's how our life *should* be.

2 Comments:
Don't expect to be visited!!!
I'll come visit lots to make up for Mark's lack-of-visiting. :) (So will Mike, btw!)
Post a Comment
<< Home