Practicum I
The first practicum is now over, and that's why there haven't been any posts on here lately. Teaching requires a lot of energy, and after I come home at the end of the day I just wanted to go to bed. Of course, I couldn't do that, because there are always lesson plans and marking to do for the next day. So my cyber life and more importantly my personal social life has been quite diminished this past month.
What did I learn? Well, I knew that classroom management would probably be my biggest issue going into this, and I wasn't disappointed - or rather I guess I was disappointed that I did as poorly as I thought I would. That's ok. Almost every new teacher has problems with this matter. I received a lot of valuable advice and encouragement from my Associate Teacher. Fortunately, he wasn't fluffly nice about it. He told me half way through that I was going to pass the practicum, BUT that if I didn't fix my classroom management problems I would have a "hard" career. So I've learned a lot about what makes a good teacher. I'm happy to go back to OISE and return to my classes, but I'm also certainly going to miss the classes that I've been a part of this past month. I'm looking forward to Practicum II.
Labels: Student Life, Teaching

2 Comments:
Hi there,
So 2 questions for you - What were your "classroom management problems" and "what makes a good teacher"???
Glad you got a good review from your teacher in the end. I'm sure the next time around you will be better prepared for it all, having been through it once already.
Wow, I even checked your blog and there was something there this time!!
what makes a good teacher is one that takes the time necessary to fix classroom management problems instead of recklessly and stubbornly adhering to an all important lesson plan that the students are too busy chatting to be getting anything out of anyhow. Did I answer both your questions at once?
Post a Comment
<< Home