Crazy Cressmans

I am at teachers college developing my identity as a teacher. Here you can join this journey as well as finding out what else I'm up to in my (sparse) spare time.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Niagara Falls

Yesterday was our 4th Anniversary. I was supposed to be done my Master's Thesis by yesterday so that we could celebrate in style. Well, I'm not done my thesis, but we celebrated in style anyway with a romantic getaway to Niagara Falls.

I have not been to Niagara Falls for a number of years, but it took me until now for it to really sink in that the reason Melissa has been so interested in getting there these past few years is that she has not been there since she was too young to remember it. Also, there are all of these gimmicky tourist activities that you feel like you're missing out on when your parents take you and only let you look from afar. Yes, of course I'm talking about the famous Maid of the Mist. So, we decided to treat ourselves to a rare bout of all out tourism and treated ourselves to the "Great Gorge Adventure Fun Pass" (Or whatever it was called). Also, in a rare move, I'm actually going to share a lot of photos since we have had so many adventures these past 30 hours. Now, I certainly don't regret any of the activities we did, but I would say that by and large the tourist gimmicks are just that. The best parts of the trip were free. Especially just spending quality time together. Now here's a mostly pictorial account of what we saw and did.

Along with our Fun Pass we had an all day pass on the Niagara Parks People Mover - a shuttle bus that travels along the river.


Our first stop was the White Water Walk. You take an elevator down from the road at the top of the gorge and then walk through a tunnel and you find yourself on a path along some of the most dangerous rapids in the world. This is the Niagara river just a couple km down stream from the falls.


Our next activity was the Maid of the Mist boat tour. Here is the American Falls as seen from the bottom. We don't have a picture of the Horse Shoe Falls from this part of our trip because it is so misty there that we couldn't risk our camera catching a cold.


Next was lunch. I made a common photography mistake here by not putting my baby finger beside this dish for some size perspective. Can you tell how small it is? Would you pay $10.25 for this? I didn't realize how little I was getting until I got it, and at that point I suppose I could have complained, but ... this is where it started to dawn on me just how many expenses there were that I hadn't anticipated while planning this trip.


Next stop was Journey Behind the Falls. Another elevator - this one too small. A tunnel out to give this impressive side view of the Horse Shoe.


Then, back to take the other fork in the tunnel that actually goes behind the falls. As you might be able to see from this picture, it is quite a disappointment to see. An open portal behind which you see ... water. Might as well gaze longingly into a fall mornings fogginess. There really isn't much to see here. The only saving grace is the auditory part. An oscillating pressure wave - akin to the blowing across a bottle top effect - that you can feel as well as hear. Oh yeah, remember, don't climb over the gate - it's dangerous!


Next stop is the Butterfly Conservatory. Some are colourful. Some weird and wonderful. Some attack Melissa.


Here you see a cable car crossing above the Whirlpool rapids. We didn't take the time to go on the car, but settled for this view.


We headed to our hotel to check in, but on the way caught this great image of a rainbow over the Horse Shoe.


Here is a view of the Horse Shoe from the Funicular. Well, I don't remember what they call their inclined railway in Niagara - I just remember it is called the Funicular in Quebec City and that's what I called it the whole time we were there.


In the evening enjoyed the free fireworks show. I often go to fireworks, but complain how dumb they are. This was actually the most impressive show I've attended. The finale was actually a real, unquestionable finale. Unlike other shows where you are waiting at the end wondering if there are still more to come. Oh yeah - and what kind of math geek would I be if I didn't share with you that I calculated that the fireworks were exploding ~300 m from where we sat based on the slightly shy of 1 sec delay from when they exploded into light to when the chest jarring boom followed.


Next Day. Today we do a lot of walking since our People Mover Pass expired. We walked by this lovely flower garden.


What is the use of a passport if you don't use it? Let's walk across the Rainbow Bridge to Niagara Falls, New York.


View of both falls from the Rainbow Bridge.


The American falls have two sections close together. The tiny chunk of land that separates the parts is Luna Island. This is the view of the falls from that Island, leaning over the railing. Oh, don't worry, I was just leaning against the railing. Jen, the whole trip Melissa wasn't afraid for my life once. Even I'm afraid of this kind of danger. All those people who rode over the falls in barrels and tightrope walked across with their manager riding piggy back - those guys are nuts!


Turkey Hill ice cream from Lancaster County Pennsylvania. This pic is for the benefit of our friend Matt.

We are currently on Goat Island which separates the American and Canadian falls. It's a New York state park instead of the Niagara Falls city park on the other side. Going to the American side was probably the best part of the trip. A different than traditional view of the falls (completing our 360 view of each falls) and a really nice state park that you still feel like you're in nature instead of in a tourist trap. Clearly as proud Canadians, our bias is in the other direction, so take it from us - if you visit the falls, take the beautiful walk over to the American side.


Hmmmm.... Violators will be prosecuted? We beg to differ. How about - Violators will be dead. Here's why:


Melissa sits on a tree trunk safely inland from the swells of the upper Canadian rapids such as the one behind her.


Last stop of the trip is back in Canada at the Aviary. A really neat (although pricey) collection of birds from around the world. This one is from Angola, so we included it for our friend Mathieu's benefit. Do you recognize it? We don't remember the name of course.


Also in the aviary for some reason is this centuries old, hand carved house from Java, Indonesia. Wow.


And the best part of the trip? Taking VIA. Freeing us from the unavoidable slavery to Parking Lots and Traffic that a rental car would surely bring. From our doorstep in Toronto to all of these sights and adventures all on mass transit. We're certainly not on par with Europe, but it IS viable! The only draw back is our sore backs from carrying around all of our personal effects everywhere we went. But, hey, that's nothing some good old fashioned muscle and massage oil can't fix either. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Happy (belated) anniversary!

It sounds like you two had a wonderful time.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures - you really got some good ones!!! Thanks for giving me a heads up that you had some on the blog already - thought you'd be working on that thesis of yours. I'd like to hear Melissa'a thoughts on her new experience at the Falls!

Sounds like you really had a good experience, car-less the whole way. Interesting that you could get to all of those things. Maybe we'll have to try something like that!!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Kudos to you two for taking the train! I share your preference for reading or easy conversation in a safe, quick, and stylish form of travel... you know, compared to driving :)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Miftis Micoon Mertancikanto said...

HAP{Y ANNIY VERSITY!!!! :) Cheers, Quack Quack.... why did you celebrate so early any how?

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home